Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Zucchini Napoleon

For dinner last night I wanted to finish off some of the remaining items from the CSA before the new veggies came in. Lauren was still out of town and being that she despises marinara I figured Id go that route.

I started out by slicing some zucchini into thin circles and getting them ready for the breading. I also chopped up a spring onion and got out some left over marinara from a large batch I made a while back. I think the key is to make large batches of sauces like marinara and cashew cream to make weekday night meals quick but not bland.

I lightly breaded the zucchini by first dipping the slices into a wet mixture of warm water and a flax meal. For the dry I used some whole wheat bread crumbs and added garlic powder, basil, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. I wanted to bake them to use a bit less oil but its been WAY too hot here lately and the last thing I want to do is turn that bad boy on. I turned to the cast iron with a bit of oil and it did the trick. I mixed some of the cashew cream with fresh parsley for part of the filling. Ive made tofu ricotta before and I just cant get into it as much as raw cashew cheese. I stacked the zucchini with a layer of marinara, followed by a bit of cashew cream, onions and some nooch. I stacked a few more layers until the thought of eating out weighed the fun of stacking.

I will say it was delicious. I think I will make this again and with the zucchini baked and with the use of pesto as the sauce for Lauren.



J. Phillips said...

Yup... That looks good. Damned good.

Amanda said...

A little bit of oil isn't the end of the world in this heat - and those look ridiculously delicious!! The thought of a little pesto added probably will take it over the top, yum!

Amber Shea said...

Very impressive...looks like a good dish to serve at a dinner party or something.

scargosun said...

That looks AMAZING! The zukes I got in my CSA yesterday were too small to do this unless I sliced them length-wise. I might have to do that. I have a small mozzarella ball left. I might use that between baked layers and add my tomato sauce. Yum. Ok, time for lunch. ;)

Miss Rachels Pantry said...

yum yum yum!

urban vegan said...

That looks insanely delish.