Friday, June 18, 2010

Cooking from CSA week 4

So with our CSA its always interesting to try out new meals and cook with ingredients you never had before. At the begin of this week I soaked some brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and almonds overnight in a bowl of water. The next day I blended them to make some nut mylk and some nut cream. I will say that unless you have a nice blender, and we don't (I really want a Vitamix haha) almonds are really hard to get creamy. The consistency wasn't what I was looking for but it was still good.

_MG_5404

For the mylk I just add more water to the mix, and strain it through a fine strainer. You could also use a nut bag/cheese clothe/piece of fabric/ect.

_MG_5423

The other day was the first relatively cool day in a while and since we rarely use the oven when its already so hot in the apartment, I decided to roast some vegetables. I threw the beets, broccoli and spring onion that we received from out CSA this week. I kept it simple for them all since I just got in from work. I tossed the broccoli in oil, salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and red pepper flakes, the beets in oil, salt, and pepper and wrapped them in foil, and I split the spring onions down the center length wise, coated with a dab of oil and threw them in with some red potatoes. I turned the oven to 425F and kept the broccoli in for 15 minutes until crispy, the beets in for 25-30 until soft, and the potatoes 30 until crispy enough for Lauren's taste :) During this time I threw a pot of quinoa on the stove and had a very simple dinner that turned out excellent.

Roasted beets & some nooch ,potatoes, broccoli, and spring onions over quinoa.

_MG_5588


Last night I made two different tacos, a raw version and a cooked lentil version. My first attempt at both of these. I think brazil nuts would be really good in the raw version due to their constancy... next time!

For the raw version I used:

1 cup almonds
1.5 T extra virgin olive oil
1.5 t cumin
1.5 t coriander
1 t black pepper
1/8 t salt

Lauren went with the raw version and wrapped it in the Napa cabbage that we recieved.

_MG_5606

_MG_5609


For the lentil version:

I cooked two spring onions and two cloves of garlic. Added cumin, coriander. chili powder, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Then added 1.5 cups of green lentil (rinsed) and 2 cups of water. Next I added a vegan bullion cube and waited for it to boil for 2 minutes. After that I simmered the pot for ~30-35 minutes until the water was absorbed and the lentils are to your liking. I like a little tooth on mine personally. Note: there would be loads of cilantro and avocado on these if we had any.

I tried both out and I used some Ezekiel sprouted corn tortillas with some nut cream, garlic scapes, quinoa, beets, and carrot.

_MG_5634

1 comments:

Chef Amber Shea said...

Oh, man...go for the Vitamix, it's seriously worth every penny!
I love the mix of nuts you used there. And both types of tacos look great! I just made a similar raw taco filling last weekend with soaked sunflower seeds and sun-dried tomatoes that was very tasty.